Today has been filled with praise reports and a few new challenges.
Joe's genetic kidney disease did attack the new kidney "aggressively". We knew this was a possibility 3 years ago. The good news is that the doctors have stopped the attack on the kidney. The bad news is that the damage is permanent and cannot be reversed. We are saddened by this news as this kidney was such a wonderful gift.
A month ago, Joe's kidney function was approximately 65%. Friday, it was 27% and by Sunday, it was 20%. Dialysis starts at 15%. The good news is that the doctors think they can stave off dialysis for another few months. They want to get as much mileage out of this kidney as they can. This is great news.
Once a patient starts dialysis, they start the process for a transplant.....if they are eligible for a transplant. This was perhaps my biggest concern. The doctors told us that Joe might not be eligible for another transplant if his genetic condition attacked the new kidney. They discussed it and looked at test results and have decided he can have another transplant!
There is talk that the "brain drain" might come out tomorrow. Joe is supposed to be able to get out of bed tomorrow and walk a little bit. We are hopeful he will be able to go home Wednesday.
We waited until we had more answers to tell the boys. Immediately, Joshua said in his sweet voice, "Daddy can have my kidney". Out of the mouths of babes.
Jack was trying to comfort Joe's sisters when he saw them crying. When they explained they were crying because they were happy with the news, Jack did a fist pump. "Yes!"
As of right now, we still have unresolved neurological issues but are awaiting test results and answers. We have another mountain to climb. But if we learned anything from the first mountain, it's that to ascend a mountain, you put one foot in front of the other. We will take this one day at a time. The mountain is big but we serve a bigger God.