Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Fixing Our Eyes

Even though we are home, our "race" is not over. This is more of a marathon than a sprint.

I know marathons. Just last year, I ran a half-marathon. While in training, God gave me a verse to meditate on.

Hebrews 12:1, Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with endurance the race that is marked out for us.

I committed that verse to memory and wrote it on my heart, as well as my race papers. I repeated this verse at least one-hundred times while I ran that day. I had arranged for the announcer to speak this verse when I crossed the finish line, for all to hear.  I ran with endurance the race set out for me!

And now, I am running another marathon. A much different race. This time, with my husband. Oh, we've had journeys together already. Just three years ago, we walked through the valley of the shadow of death, but we feared no evil. For His rod and staff comforted us.

This marathon is a marathon of recovery. It is not a sprint. We realize there will be weeks, if not months of therapy and rehab and strength building.

And during this marathon, I have been brought back to Hebrews 12:1. While Joe was in brain surgery, I was comforted by the verse. Two of my sisters in Christ sent me encouraging messages with Hebrews 12:1.

But, there's more to that paragraph. Keep reading and you will hear Hebrews 12:2,

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith...


 

Many of you have commented on my faith. Thank you. However, look past me, to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of OUR faith!

May I comfort you today, in your race (because we all struggle with problems). Brothers and sisters, run with endurance the race that is set before you. Personalize the verse. Insert your name:

Let ____ run with endurance the race that is set before ___, fixing ___ eyes on Jesus, the founder and perfecter of ____ faith.



where Glory meets my suffering