Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I Lied....Sort Of

So, remember how I told you that I finished my National Board paperwork?  Well, I did finish the paperwork.  All 90 pages of it.  Seriously.  Ninety pages.  And the two 15-minute videos of my teaching.  But.....I'm not done yet.



To achieve national board certification, a teacher must submit clear, concise, and convincing evidence of their accomplished teaching.  In addition, they must also take a 4 hour assessment.  The questions span the whole age range of their certificate area.  For instance, I am attempting to certify in Early-Middle Childhood Literacy: Reading/Language Arts.  This area spans ages 3-12 years old.  This last school year, I taught 4th grade and my 90 pages of evidence and 2 videos represent only 4th grade.  Now, I must go to the assessment center and take the 4 hour test to prove I know the content for students below and above my current grade level.

I do have experience in the other age ranges.  I taught 2nd grade for two years.  I taught a preschool/kindergarten class for three years.  And, I did my student teaching in a one-room schoolhouse for grades 1st through 6th.  It's just that those assignments were so long ago, since I've been in 4th grade for five years.

I feel calmly confident. Not-over-the-top confident, but I-can-do-this confident.  There is a wonderful group on Yahoo Groups which has resources and practice prompts for the assessment.  I have been reading books non-stop (ok, so I'm using NB as an excuse to sit and read).  And I've been tapping into the great strategies I have learned over the years from amazing teachers/mentors.  I can do this.

So, if you find yourself thinking of me this week, say a little prayer.  My assessment is Friday.  In Tucson.  Which means I'll be leaving Thursday to drive down.  My prayer through the entire process has been:
Lord,
Bless the work of my hands.
Your servant



where Glory meets my suffering