Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Daniel Fast: Day 9


This is Day 9 of a series of posts on the Daniel Fast.
Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

Today's word is "pain".

I have pretty much been in pain throughout the entire fast.  Not hunger pains.  I have not been hungry, aside from the "four-hours-later-it's-time-to-eat" hunger.  This pain is in my lower body.  It's sort of a dull achy feeling.  I imagine that it's my body metabolizing my fat reserves, as I have been consuming only about 600 calories per day.  Either way, it's uncomfortable.

Which got me googling.  What is this pain, which has increased in intensity daily?  What does it mean?

The first few websites said it was a sign that I was dehydrated.  Not true, as I drink close to a gallon per day.

The next few websites said it was an imbalance of sodium and potassium.  One website said it can be dangerous and hundreds of people end up in the ER every year from it.

All the websites suggested that I stop the fast.

And I heard his scheming little voice again.  "You already technically broke the fast.  God isn't talking to you anymore.  You don't want to end up hurting yourself."

"Stop! ......... Speak Lord, Your servant is listening.  I don't want to diminish the work You are doing in and through me."

I will continue the fast.

I looked at a few more websites.  Not sure really why.  After reading a few, I was almost convinced I had prostate cancer.

Another website said that fasting is a detox.  If you have had any problems with a certain area of your body, the toxins are working their way out; hence the pain.  For me, it has always been my lower back.  I have scoliosis and a few times per year, it gets so bad that I can't stand up straight.  Either way, I'm not letting pain stop God's work in and through me.

where Glory meets my suffering