Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Daniel Fast: Day 6


This is Day 6 of a series of posts on the Daniel Fast.
Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Today, my word is "preparation".  Preparation is key.

I have made it more than half way through the fast and I have been 100% successful, which I didn't actually think was possible before I started.  God has provided everything I have needed and has given me strength, and then some!

Yet, today is Saturday.  A day that might prove challenging.  See, thus far, I've been at work during the day. I don't have many temptations at work.  I take my own lunch.  There are no fast food places nearby, and even if there were, I have no time to leave campus and get a bite to eat.  When I come home, I'm so tired and the boys are hungry, that we go straight home. And again, no fast food to pass on the way home.  Relatively, temptation-free days.

On the weekends, however, well that's a different story.  I had to drive into town to run a few errands.  I knew this would mean being the same parking lot as my "arch"-nemesis.  McDonald's.  I would also be right next door to Subway.  Healthy, but not on my fast.  And actually in the same store as Starbucks.  Worse yet, is our little tradition.  We never eat fast food during the week, so on the weekends, I treat the boys to a happy meal or Subway sandwich.  I knew that I couldn't stand that kind of temptation, so I prepared for it.

We packed picnic lunches.  Simple, yet so inspired.  I told the boys if they put away their laundry, I would take them to Woodland Lake Park.  Genius, I know.  We all ate, they played, I chit-chatted with friends.  And then, when I went into town to do the errands, we were full and not as tempted.  I could still smell the french fries, but they had no power over me.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of fast food, I will eat no french fries.  For Thou art with me.  Thy fruits and Thy water, they sustain me.


where Glory meets my suffering