Monday, April 22, 2013

Daniel Fast

Most of the time, this blog is for others to read and for me to share our crazy, wonderful lives.  But, sometimes, the blog is for me to journal my thoughts and emotions.  This is one of those posts.

I started the Daniel Fast.  If you don't know what it is, you can click here.  I didn't know much either until recently.

Today is my first day.  Wowsers!  This is so much harder than I thought.  I thought I might be hungry, but I never did feel hungry.  I ate my normal amounts of food for meals and snacks.  It wasn't even so hard to go without meat, as I don't eat much anyway.  What was hard was cutting out the sugar and caffeine.  

When running, runners hit "the wall"; a figurative point where they don't feel like they can go any further.  However, when the runner mentally tells themselves that they CAN and WILL do it, they push past that wall and go much further.  When I get to that point, I actually don't feel the pain anymore and it's almost euphoric.

Well, I hit the wall today with the Daniel Fast.  It is common for people on the fast to feel fatigue and headaches.  I felt extreme fatigue and wanted to just stuff my mouth with chocolate.  I spoke with my friend, whom is also on the fast, and asked her for advice.  She prayed me through it.  And I actually started to feel better.  My energy picked up and I was able to finish the day. I'm not quite to the euphoric stage yet.  

Of course, the main point of this fast is to focus on prayer and mediation.  My breath prayer during this will be: Speak Lord.  Your servant is listening.



where Glory meets my suffering