Thursday, April 25, 2013

Daniel Fast: Day 4



This is Day 4 of a series of posts on the Daniel Fast.
Day 1

Day 2

Day 3


I'm going strong, by the grace of God.  What a wonderful time in my spiritual life, to set aside time to focus on prayer.  God has already shown me so much, in just 4 days.  I can't wait to see what He has for me in the next 6!

Today, my word is "crutches".  And I threw them down today.  Literally.

I mentioned previously that I had been using Tylenol PM since early August.  I was consistently waking up in the middle of the night, head spinning with the 20 things that I didn't get done the day before and swimming with the 30 things I needed to get done the next day.  I tried all the tricks to get back to sleep, but it never worked.  And believe me.  I tried.

I knew it wasn't good for me to use the pills every day, so I wouldn't take them on Friday nights and Saturday nights.  My theory was that if I was tired on the weekend, I could always take a nap.  Yeah right.  And tired I was.  I continued to wake up at 3 am. every. single. night.

But not for the last 3 days.  I have prayed that God would provide my rest.  He loves to give good gifts to those who ask (Matthew 7:11)!  And every night, I have slept 8 hours.  Yet, I kept the bottle in my bathroom, just in case.  Just in case God didn't provide.  Just in case I didn't really trust Him, more like it.  What was I saying?  "God, I trust You to direct my paths regarding children's ministry.  I trust You to provide a place for us to live.  I trust You with saving my husband's life.  But, I don't think You are powerful enough to grant me rest.  I'll take care of it."  After these four days, I don't WANT to say that!  I WANT to rely on God more and MORE!

So, I threw the bottle in the trash.  I cast down my crutches.

As my beloved sister-in-Christ (who just finished her Daniel Fast) said, "It has NO CONTROL over me anymore!"  Amen sister.

I tell you this, not to brag about myself.  I tell you to encourage you.  You can have the same power.  You can conquer those fears and addictions.  "Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete." John 16:24.

where Glory meets my suffering