Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Daniel Fast: Day 2

This is Day 2 of a series of posts on the Daniel Fast.
Day 1

Day 2 was definitely better than the first.  After I got over the wall, my body is accepting the fast and going forward.

I want to spend this time reading the book of Daniel.  I learned so much in just chapter one.  How did I not know that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were not their birth names?  How did I not know that those were god-worshipping names?  I will do my best to retrain my brain to refer to them by their God-honoring names; Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah.

I also learned something about myself.  I was trusting God with the big issues in my life: Joe's health, my job, ministry .  Yet, I wasn't trusting Him with the small things; sleep, my health, etc.  I was medicating my small problems with Tylenol PM every night and Tylenol during the day, should I get a headache.  I want to be true to the fast so God would speak to me and I would derive the most benefit from this time set aside.  I knew that meant I wouldn't be able to take the sleeping aids.

I prayed that God would bless me with 8 hours of sleep and would restore my body.  My breath prayer on Day 2 was "Lord, make me sharper."  I went to bed, resting on the promise that God would provide, even sleep.  And provide He did.  For the first time since July, I was able to sleep 8 hours.  Aside from the wonderful feeling of rest, I felt so loved and comforted.  I felt renewed knowing that I need to place my small problems in God's hands as well.


where Glory meets my suffering