Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Bride Waits

Girls grow up dreaming about their wedding day.  When they meet their Prince Charming and get engaged, they begin counting the days.  They wait with eager anticipation to see their groom and be united with him.  I am waiting to see my groom.

Our ten year anniversary went largely unnoticed while at the Transplant House.  Yet, we are still newlyweds. Since Joe's condition is genetic, I don't know if I have ever really known a "healthy" Joe.  The boys certainly haven't.

We had the date all set.  Joe was to return home in two days.  We made preparations at home.  Everything climaxed with that date.  Our whole universe hinged on it.  And then we got the call.

Joe's numbers are off and the doctors are keeping him for another two weeks.  I don't understand it all but this is what I am getting from Joe and his lab results.  After a transplant, patients are put on a regimen of three anti-rejection medications.  This is to slow the body's defense system down, so it doesn't attack the new organ.  Joe responded so well in the hospital, that they took him off one of the pills immediately.  Well, now his white blood cells are too low.  This indicates that the remaining pills are working too well and they need to wean him off one of the anti-rejection meds.  In the whole scheme of things, this is good news.  His body is accepting the kidney whole-heartedly.  It's great that he will have one less pill to take.  One less dose of side-effects.

To say that I am disappointed about his being gone another two weeks is the understatement of the century.  My whole countenance plummeted.  The boys are filled with a hundred questions.  Everyday they wake up and tell ME how many days remain!  I must remember my blog yesterday, I have to "ALWAYS give thanks for ALL things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ".  I am thankful that his body is accepting this kidney so much that they have to take him off the anti-rejection meds.  I am thankful that he HAS a kidney, and a team of doctors who leave nothing to chance.

So, the bride waits.  The groom has yet another mountain to climb before they can be reunited.

where Glory meets my suffering