Monday, August 13, 2012

Giving Thanks

Ephesians 5:20 tells us to "ALWAYS give thanks for ALL things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ".  It's so nice to give thanks for the sunny skies.  For the cooling rain.  For the beautiful home.  But do we give thanks when we are inconvenienced?

My day started at 12:30 a.m. to the sounds of yelling.  I groggily made my way upstairs where I was greeted with a bed (and child) covered in vomit.  Honestly, "Thank You, God" were not the first words out of my mouth.  But, a few loads of laundry later, I am "singing and making melody with my heart to the Lord".

Thankful that my son woke up and didn't choke to death on his own vomit.  Could you imagine?  I'm so thankful he woke up and called my name.

Thankful that I was near to care for him.  What if I had to work a night shift?  Or what if he called out for someone else.  I'm so grateful he called "mommy".

Thankful that I have running, hot water.  I was able to put him in the shower and wash it all off.  What if we lived like a majority of the world's population, without running, hot water?  How do those mothers clean their children in the middle of the night?  I'm sure they get sick too.  I'm just grateful I was able to clean him without it being too hard.

Thankful that we had another pair of clean pajamas to put on him.  Some children don't have ONE pair, let alone TWO pair of pajamas.  What a luxury!  In fact, I complain sometimes that they have too many clothes.  How selfish of me.

Thankful that I have a working washing machine IN MY OWN HOME.  It wasn't hard at all to strip his bed and throw the bedding into the washer.  What if we didn't have our own washer?  Would we have to traipse to the local laundromat?  Wash by hand?

Thankful that I have sick leave so I can stay home with my baby.  What if I didn't have any sick time on the books?  I know that some moms have to debate back and forth whether to go to work to feed the family or to stay home with their sickie.  I've been there.  It's a no win situation.

Thankful that Jack got sick while Joe was still away.  If Joe had been home already, he would have had to leave for the day since he can't be around sickness.  

Thankful that God has surrounded me with hands-down the most amazing friends a woman could ever ask for.  I have a frig full of chicken noodle soup, crackers, PowerAid, and dinners for 4 days.


I know that "Thank You, God" doesn't come naturally.  If it did, God wouldn't have to tell us to do it in the Bible.  But I want to encourage you to take a moment to "ALWAYS give thanks for ALL things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ".  I know I am going to look back on this experience as a reminder.  

where Glory meets my suffering