Monday, May 28, 2012

Summer Reading

Ah summer.  You elusive, long-sought-after, short-lived summer.  The thought alone brings a smile to my face.  Teachers get such short summers nowadays.  Don't get me going on the joke about "June, July, and August".  Most teachers I know, including moi, get two months off from regular teaching.  Yet, many work summer jobs (summer school, school improvement, etc.).  And many others go back early for pre-service and training.  For example, last year, I only had one week off when you include District Curriculum Team, the Science grant from NAU, and pre-service.

No wonder I felt disorganized all year.  I mean, I didn't even buy an uber-cute binder and make color-coded tabs!  Seriously.  I didn't.  And because I didn't get all organized in the summer, I was disorganized all year.  I went in on weekends and tried to clean my desk, but the 4 hours was usually spent just cleaning off the TOP of the desk, let alone the contents.  In fact, as I was cleaning out my desk on the last day of work, I found paperwork that I "lost" in September!  I spent hours looking for that paperwork all year.  For this reason (and a few hundred more), I am having my desk taken out of my room.  I will blog about that later, as I have found all my inspiration in the blogosphere and I LOVE the new arrangement.

This summer I will have a little more time to read....and organize.  I am still working School Improvement for the month of June.  However, Joe and I will be spending the month of July in the Transplant House in Phoenix.  Yes, I just put July and Phoenix together in the same sentence.  And no, I'm not crazy.  We found a donor for Joe and everything has aligned with a summer transplant.  PTL!  Aside from doctor visits, I'll pretty much have nothing to do this summer.  Nothing but reading that is.  That's why I am so excited to link up with Clutter-Free Classroom on her Summer Reading Linky Party.  BTW, if you haven't checked out her blog yet, you need to do so right now.  Like, right now.  I'll wait.  Yes, it's that good.



I wanted to start my summer reading with "Spaces and Places" by Debbie Diller.  Again, I'm going to make an effort at getting more organized so everything else can fall into place.  The only problem is, I read it in one day!  It was so awesome, so inspiring, so perfect, that I just could not put it down.  I pinned a ton of pics to my Pinterest so I don't forget all the awesomeness by August.



On a totally non-professional note, I am hooked on The Hunger Games series.  I read the first two books in two days.  I'm so looking forward to the third, "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins.  Oh, and then there's this big blue box of National Board Certification paperwork.  After years of waiting patiently, I am finally going for it!

So, my question to you is this: what books do you suggest?  I will have over a month to read, but my current rate is one book per day.  I'll need more books, y'all.  Preferably ones about organizing or Reading/Language Arts.  What are you reading this summer?


where Glory meets my suffering