Friday, March 16, 2012

Sticker Game Boards

I've mentioned before that I am not a clever person.  However, I am pretty good at seeing good ideas and making them mine.  Sticker game boards are a perfect example of this.

A co-worker showed me his sticker game board and explained that he uses it for Vocabulary review.  A light bulb went off in my head.  My students will review ANY concept, if I call it a game.  I usually call our Vocabulary review "Vocabulary Pictionary".  They take turns drawing pics and flipping through their vocabulary journals.  I can turn almost any Math concept into a dice, card, or bingo game.  And over the years, I have bought several board games for classrooms.  But this......this.........this takes it to another level.

Spring Break is next week and I know that the kids will get bored at some point during the 9 days.  I have always sent home "break" homework packets, filled with word searches and math worksheets.  But this year, the students made their own gameboards.

A pen pal recently sent us a care package with tons of goodies.  St. Patrick's Day pencils, buttons, stickers, napkins, paperclips, and foam shamrocks and hearts.  I instantly knew what we were going to do with them!






Some of them were not finished when I took the pics, but you get the idea.  I just LOVE the different ideas they all had!  Some decided to make them into Math games.  Some made fact or opinion games.  Some made multiple choice cards.  My non-reader made his for practicing his sight words.  In the end, they had fun AND created a board game to play over Spring Break.  Thanks Isaac for the idea and thanks to Jean for sending the care package.

where Glory meets my suffering