Thursday, March 15, 2012

Field Trip to the Library



Our field trip to the library finally became a reality. You have heard the phrase, "like a kid in a candy shop". It should be "like a kid in a library". They were sooooooooooooo excited!

The few students who had library cards were able to check out books. But there were 15 who had no card and those 15 were so forlorn. The cards cost twenty-five cents and they all came with a quarter. One boy even brought a dollar, so 3 of his friends could get cards too, yet cards require a parent signature and they didn't have their parent with them. Do you know how hard it is to look at a kid with big, puppy-dog eyes and tell them they can't check out books? Heartbreaking.

 The librarian must have felt my pain and she offered that I could check out the books under my name, but that would make me responsible for the books. I took the risk that a book may get lost. But, if I have to pay $20 to replace a book, yet in the process was able to inspire 15 kids to read over Spring Break, it was worth it!

When we returned to school, they begged to have time to start reading their books.  I could see boys huddled together, discussing a non-fiction book.  Girls sat and read novels.  One girl finished an entire novel in one hour!  Such avid readers!  Like kids in a library............

where Glory meets my suffering