Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Spelling Bee

A teacher is much like a proud parent.  We take pics of our kids, oops, I mean students.  We feel a burst of pride when they do something amazing.  And if you have the fortune to stick around a school long enough, you can feel this with all the kids as they go on to higher grades.

Today was our school spelling bee.  I, for one, am not a very good speller.  I am amazed that these children, little children, some 8 years-old, can spell words that give adults trouble.  But, spell they did!  They spelled their little hearts out.

I had the pleasure to send 3 of my current students to the spelling bee this year.  As I sat there, I counted 6 former students on stage as well.  I had nothing to do with their success, as I already mentioned I am not a good speller, but I was still proud to see them there.

Jay did very well.
Gerald did well.
As did Akima.
After 6 rounds, there were only two students left.
Akima and a third-grader.  After 15 grueling rounds of back and forth spelling...... a winner spelled her way to the top.

Congratulations Akima Hinton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where Glory meets my suffering