Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I Hate Xmas


No, I am not a Scrooge. Quite the contrary. I just hate "xmas". It is the most blatant omissin of Christ, our Saviour. The Creator. The whole reason we are here. Christmas is the celebration of God humbling Himself to come to earth to save us from.... well, from ourselves.

I LOVE Christmas! My house is decorated to the hilt. My mom even used to have Christmas toilet paper (I draw the line somewhere). So, imagine my frustration when I tried to find a nice Christ-centered background for this blog. Lots of Christmas trees and Santas and snowmen. By the way, I have nothing against snowmen. But, I wanted to focus on Christ. The current one is ok, but still not my favorite.

As I began to write my annual newsletter to be included in our Christmas cards, I was shopping for Christ-centered stationary. Granted our town isn't that big, but I still went to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Hallmark, Walgreens, Safeway, and Dollar General. I had to settle on snowmen.

I have been reading this new (to me) blog and like everything she has to offer. She was talking about advent calendars and I thought that since the boys are older, they are ready for it this year. Again, I looked high and low. I would have even settled for a chocolate advent calendar. Of course, someone would have to sacrifice and eat all the chocolates so that I could stuff Bible verses into the slots. That someone could have been me. But no. No advent calendars. We made a paper chain with a different Bible verse or activity on each link. The boys are counting down the days that way and seeing that Christmas is not all about the presents and Santa.

Then, I came across this. I couldn't have said it better myself, so I am just going to include a link and you can read it straight from her. We need Christmas.

where Glory meets my suffering