Sunday, August 23, 2009

Best Biscuit Recipe Ever



How many of you buy biscuits? How many of you buy frozen or canned biscuits? They are so expensive. I have a recipe for homemade buttermilk biscuits. This recipe will make a big batch of dough, but the best part is, you don't have to make it all at once. You can save the dough in the frig for weeks and just make what you want, when you want it. For instance, we only make 4 biscuits at a time. I make up the dough on Sunday afternoons and the dough lasts me all week. You can even have biscuits for breakfast. Yummy!


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Dissolve: 1 package yeast

1/2 cup VERY warm water

3 teaspoons sugar


Add: 3/4 cup oil

2 cups buttermilk (I use powdered buttermilk and it works just fine)

6 cups flour, add one at a time

in one of the cups of flour, add:

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

Mix together. Cover and set in frig overnight or 8 hours.


To make biscuits, don't worry about rolling out the dough and using cutters. Just grab a small handful, and place on a greased cookie sheet. Make as many or as few as you want. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes (on the mountain, I need 12 minutes). I usually use the toaster oven, so I don't heat up the whole house in summer, just for 4 biscuits. They also keep well overnight in the bread box. They make a great running-out-the-door breakfast for busy mornings.

where Glory meets my suffering