Saturday, August 15, 2009

Awesome Cleaning Recipes



I must admit that my search for these recipes did not stem from a deep-seated desire to save the planet. More like, save my wallet. I had heard of secret recipes for cleaning supplies and I decided to try them.


1. Window (or any glass) Cleaner. This is the easiest. Vinegar and water. I use about 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water. My neighbor uses more like half and half. It's up to you. If you don't like the smell, put two drops of essential oil in the squirt bottle and you have your own personalized window cleaner. And to wipe the surface, nothing, NOTHING works better than newspaper. Seriously. Check it out.


2. Everything Cleaner. Turns out, this formula for cleaning windows, also cleans just about everything else. My neighbor turned me on to this trick. Use the same squirt bottle that you are using for your windows, on your countertops, sinks, faucets, floors. Yes, even floors! This vinegar formula works so well, it even got the mineral buildup around my sinks. (We have hard water here on the mountain).


3. Dishwasher Detergent. I only run the dishwasher once every two days, but the cost of the soap was adding up. And don't forget the JetDry (remember, hard water). The Jet Dry secret recipe is super easy. Vinegar. Just straight vinegar into the holding chamber and viola! Ok, for the detergent. One Tablespoon baking soda (buy the super big box for like $3). One Tablespoon Borax (again, really cheap). Works like a charm.


4. Laundry Detergent. I don't have to tell you how expensive this item can be. And I think I am pretty good at keeping laundry down. We only do about 4-5 loads per week for a family of 4. Still, it adds up. Ok, remember that big box of baking soda I told you to buy, use it here too. Take one 4.5 ounce bar soap and grate it. If you don't want to do it, give this job to your child. They will think it's fun. This should make about 2 cups. Mix this 2 cups of bar soap, with one cup of baking soda, and one cup of Borax. This is now your laundry detergent. Use 2 Tablespoons with every load.


Before you stand up and give me an ovation, I didn't come up with these recipes on my own. I swagged (swagbucks) them and I read the websites on my right hand column. Moms by Heart has some cool, homemaking tips and recipes. Check out these websites as these are my favorites and I check back on them almost daily. Who doesn't love earning free SwagBucks? Who doesn't love getting Freebies in the mail everyday? Who doesn't love new recipes that will save me tons of money per year? Oh yeah, the Moms by Heart creator figured out that the laundry soap recipe costs about 3 cents per load!

where Glory meets my suffering