Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Great CA Trip

Wow, did we have a fun, fast trip. Let me tell you all about it.

It started at 3am Thursday morning. I have made the trip before, by myself with the boys and I have learned that the best way is to get as far as you can while they sleep. Unfortunately, Josh woke up when I put him in the car, and he fussed a little getting back to sleep. The drive was smooth and uneventful. Really, that's what you want.

As I approached CA, I could actually see the line of smog. It is crazy how it just hangs around the Colorado River. Like it knows not to cross into AZ or something. As we approached LA, it got worse and it was so thick it looked like I could physically cut it with a knife. I don't miss that part of CA.

When we got to my parents house, I drove my mom around running errands, as she couldn't drive due to her surgery just days previously.

At dinner, I felt a little off. By the time we got home, I was really feeling bad. Turns out, I spent the whole night in the restroom, losing 10 pounds. I HATE the stomach flu!

The next morning I was dehydrated and tired. Yet, I had to pack all 5 of us into my van and drive us up the coast. I hurt so bad, I wanted to cry. And of course, we hit traffic. One set of traffic was a bomb squad screaming past us on the freeway. Bomb squad. They don't call it "La La Land" for nothing.



We got there 10 minutes before the party started. The party was nice. It was on the beach, just across the street from our resort. The food was good (thanks Gramps), the company was so nice, and the boys enjoyed the beach. But I was pooped! I went down to the sand with the boys, so they could play. Actually, it wasn't sand. It was little rocks. It was very comfortable. I laid down to rest, and the boys took advantage and put handfuls of rocks in my hair. I was picking out rocks days later. Thanks boys. A little later, we saw a pod of dolphins swimming and doing flips in the air. Jack was cracking up at the dolphins. Josh was too interested in the bird on the table. Funny.

The next day was graduation. I was so dreading this (sorry Crys, but I was). I was expecting to take one hour to drive in to the parking lot, sitting outside in the rain, sitting for 3 hours listening to boring speeches, not being able to see Crys' face, trying to keep the boys entertained for 3 hours, and taking one hour to drive out of the parking lot. It was NOTHING of the sort. San Luis Obispo is so smart. Instead of having one big graduation for all the students, they have many, smaller graduations throughout the day, at different venues. So smart. Her graduation was in a little ampitheatre, with parking just one minute away. There were only 50 graduates in her ceremony. We got to see her face. The speech was only 5 minutes long. And the best part, the whole shebang was only 30 minutes, and my boys actually sat through the whole thing! It was so pleasant.




The next day, we had to leave. The boys went down to the beach to play one last time. After breakfast, we played croquet and shuffleboard. The boys ran around on the golf course. Mostly, we just enjoyed family. I drove us back down the coast. About half-way home, the boys needed diaper changes and lunch. Instead of going to a boring rest stop, we went to a state beach. The minute I drove in, I remembered it. Back when it was just my mom and me, we used to take road trips. This one road trip, when I was 4, we camped out at a beach. I played in the shadow of a big bridge. I played with my plastic dinosaurs. I even remember meeting Austalian men and they gave us a boomerang. My mom still has it. Anyways, it was the same beach.


We made it home, after 6 hours in the car. Dad played with the boys while I did laundry and packed, yet again. And once again, at 3am, I was off. I made it well into AZ when the boys woke up. Thank God for DVD players. Seriously, I swore I would never have one in the car. I wanted my kids to look out the windows and enjoy the scenery. Yeah right. They are 3 and 2. They aren't enjoying the scenery. What scenery?!


We got home at noonish. Would you believe that over the whole trip, 8 1/2 hours there, 6 hours North, 6 hours South, and 8 1/2 hours back, total 29 hours in their carseats, Jack never fussed and Josh only fussed the first hour of the trip. 29 HOURS! I love my boys. They are so good.
It was so nice coming home. I am a mountain girl. I know that Cambria and the CA coast is so beautiful, but it's just not my style. I could feel my heart getting happier as I drove up the mountain. And then I was welcomed with greenery everywhere. Have you ever experienced summer in the mountains? Everything is green. Of course the evergreens are green. They are EVERgreens. But the oaks are green. The ferns are green. The quaking aspen are green (my fave). There is grass everywhere. There are wildflowers everywhere. Locals, have you noticed the purple flowers on the road in Pinetop? LOVELY! It is trully Winters Reward.


So, that is the trip. No exciting trips to Disneyland or visiting of good friends in Yosemite. I did however, get to eat at Carl's Jr, El Pollo Loco, and (my fave) In-n-Out. Mmmm.

where Glory meets my suffering