Sunday, February 1, 2009

Grocery store organization


I was clicking on a site for free samples (one of my favorite pasttimes) and she was asking for organization tips. I racked my brain for something different than what other people do. All my little tricks are common. I finally put down the idea about my grocery shopping list (that I got from Alicia) and she loved the idea so much I thought I would share it here.

I have made a template of the most common items I buy at the store. I know that some of you have done the same thing. You buy yogurt every week, so why write it down 52 times per year. Create a template and then it's always there. I have it hanging from the frig so I can highlight what we need when I think of it. I have even taught Joe to highlight what we need. For instance, don't you hate getting home from the store to find out that you didn't buy soap because you thought you had soap? But, if your husband highlights it when he uses the last bar, you know to buy soap.

Here's one more trick. I have laid out my shopping list in the order that I shop. Let me explain. When I enter Wal-Mart, I always go to the back first and work my way to the front. So, the first items on my list come from the first aisle I walk down (which is actually the last aisle in the store). Then the next set of items on my list are the second aisle. Yadda, yadda, yadda. This way, I never get to produce and realize I still need dairy (opposite ends of the store). This has saved me time, I would love to say it has saved me money buuuuut, and it has saved me frustration.
I would love to hear your organization tricks as I always have room to improve and am looking for ways to make the most out of my time.

where Glory meets my suffering