Tuesday, February 3, 2009

First Born

Here you go mommies - a different kind of survey for a change - it's all about your first born!

1. WAS YOUR FIRST PREGNANCY PLANNED? Yes...but it took 1 1/2 years to finally get pregnant.
2. WERE YOU MARRIED AT THE TIME? Yes
3. WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS? Well, that explains a lot!
4. WAS ABORTION AN OPTION FOR YOU? Absolutely not.
5. HOW OLD WERE YOU? 29 conception, 30 birth
6. HOW DID YOU FIND OUT YOU WERE PREGNANT? I had pneumonia (sp?) and I was just so tired. A friend came over to bring me some homemade soup and she hugged me good-bye. It hurt my breasts. Hurt. She said, maybe you're pregnant. No, we have been trying forever. She said that I should take a test before my next chest x-ray for the pneumonia. Sure enough.
7. WHO DID YOU TELL FIRST? My father-in-law. I know, you're thinking, what?! Since I had pneumonia, I couldn't do anything for myself. So my father in law was staying with us to take care of me while Joe worked. I asked him to go buy the test. He didn't realize they had tests for that sort of thing. So old school, but so sweet. I gave him a post it note and $10 and sent him on his way. A lady at Wal-greens had to help him. Bless his heart. What she must have been thinking with this 70 year old man getting a pregnancy test. Needless to say, he was the first to find out. It was the least I could do.
8. DID YOU WANT TO FIND OUT THE SEX? No way! I wanted to be surprised. But Joe wanted to know, so the doctor wrote it on a note, sealed it in an envelope, and gave it to Joe. Joe told everyone, so it leaked back to me.
9. DUE DATE? December 25th (Christmas), exactly one year after my family laid hands on me to get pregnant.
10. DID YOU HAVE MORNING SICKNESS? No, I was spoiled with the first. Just that amazing pregnancy glow.
11. WHAT DID YOU CRAVE? I CRAVED fruit! I dreamt about fruit. I ate fruit morning, noon, and night.
12. WHO/WHAT IRRITATED YOU THE MOST? Having to pee so much. What's up with that?
13. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CHILD'S SEX? Boy
14. DID YOU WISH YOU HAD THE OPPOSITE SEX OF WHAT YOU WERE GETTING? No.
15. HOW MANY POUNDS DID YOU GAIN THROUGHOUT THE PREGNANCY? Many. Still have 'em.
16. DID YOU HAVE A BABY SHOWER? Yes, many. My work threw a surprise baby shower and I was blessed beyond measure. So sweet. Joe donated money for my friends to throw me a shower and Sarah put it together. That was probably the best shower I have ever been to. Thanks Sarah. My church threw me a shower. My mom threw me a shower for family and church friends. Huge party! I am still using some of the baby shampoos and baby powders I got then.
17. WAS IT A SURPRISE OR DID YOU KNOW? See above.
18. DID YOU HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS DURING YOUR PREGNANCY? None! It was a fairy tale pregnancy. Even the birth was beautiful and amazing.
19. WHERE DID YOU GIVE BIRTH? Kaiser Fresno, CA. It was a beautiful room all to myself.
20. HOW MANY HOURS WERE YOU IN LABOR? I woke at 3 am with a strong contraction. I continued to go through the contractions in the living room while everyone slept. Later in the morning I told Joe to pack a bag, to which he replied, "I have to go Christmas shopping today" (Christmas eve). I told Sarah (my doula and bestest friend). Turns out she had been praying quietly in her room for my labor, while I was laboring in the living room, and she didn't even know! Drove to Kaiser. Laborer. Pushed. Born at 5 pm. so, the whole shebang was 14 hours.
21. WHO DROVE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL? Joe. Sarah drove herself as she had to go to work the following day in Yosemite.
22. WHO WAS WITH YOU WHEN YOU GIVE BIRTH? Joe, of course, and Sarah. I couldn't have done it without you, Sarah!
23. WAS IT NATURAL OR C-SECTION? Natural all the way. And soooooooooo awesome!
24. DID YOU TAKE MEDICINE TO EASE THE PAIN? Nope. Just lots of Bradley method preparation.
27. HOW MUCH DID YOUR CHILD WEIGH? 7 lbs. 5 oz.
28. WHEN WAS YOUR CHILD ACTUALLY BORN? December 24th, 7 hours before his due date.
30. WHAT DID YOU NAME HIM/HER? Jack Isaiah Rodriguez. Joe's grandfather's name was Isaiah and Joe loved him very much.
31. HOW OLD IS YOUR FIRST BORN TODAY? 3

where Glory meets my suffering